Friday, July 22, 2011

Bread Sticks

When I make my bread every week, I always have a large piece of dough left over. Sometimes I make cinnamon rolls with it, sometimes I make hamburger buns or dinner rolls. Recently I tried bread sticks and we all loved them. Here is the bread recipe that I use only in a much larger scale.

To make the bread sticks, roll out the piece of dough on a greased counter top just as if you were making cinnamon rolls. Spread softened butter all over the rolled out piece of dough. Then sprinkle it with garlic salt, onion powder, and Italian Seasoning. Next, cut the piece of dough down the middle lengthwise. Then cut the two halves of dough into "sticks" as shown in the picture above.

Grease a large backing sheet. Gently scoop the "sticks" off the counter onto your greased backing sheet and cover with light dish towel. Let sit until raised double in size or as long as you want but don't let the dough dry out. Place in a 350 degree, preheated oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove and let cool.


Try them warm and save the rest for supper. I often freeze them for a later meal of soup or spaghetti too!



Enjoy,
Alison