Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Rhubarb Sauce with Shortbread Cookies

Some neighbors gave me a bunch of rhubarb a long time ago and I had it in the bottom of the fridge waiting for it to rot so I could throw it out. Actually, we've had a busy August so I wasn't really waiting for it to rot, I just didn't have time to do anything with it. Yes, that's my story... Anyway, the other day, I pulled it out to throw it away, and it was totally fine, like I had just put it in there. So I decided to make Rhubarb Sauce with it. It was SO good, so this morning I went out and cut the rest of my rhubarb and made it into sauce to.

Kyla made these shortbread cookies one evening and we loved them with the sauce. I will post her recipe at the end of this post.

Rhubarb Sauce

Clean and cut-up rhubarb into 1/2 inch chunks and fill dutch-oven. Poor in about 2 cups water.
Cook on med/high heat until begins to boil. Turn down and let simmer until rhubarb is tender and strings apart. Like a good sauce consistancy. Take of heat and stir in 4 cups of sugar. More or less depending on how sweet you like it!

Then, because the sugar content is already so high, and because I want my rhubarb to have a pinkish look, I sprinkle in red sugar crystals and stir.

When it cool, I ladle it into some Nancy's Yogert Containers to store in the freezer.

It is my little "green" contribution for the day. Or is it my dear Grandpa showing up in me-saving every container because "you just might need it for something."

Ahh, but it is good!

Now, Kyla's Shortbread Cookies

2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teas salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 teas vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 F. Mix together flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. In another mixing bowl, beat butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Slowly mix in flour mixture, beating well. When the dough gets crumbly, use your hands to form into a smooth ball. Roll the ball out onto wax paper and cut into squares. Place on cookie sheets and bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool for 2 min.

2 comments:

Lainey said...

Thanks for sharing the recipes. We also made some cherry jam from a neighbor's cherries. I love to make use of "freebies"....but sigh, we do not have chokecherries. I love chokecherry jelly! They have a taste all their own don't they?

Anonymous said...

Cute "reuse" containers. I haven't seen them printed like that.

Cookies and sauce looks good, too. :)