Saturday, January 24, 2009

Orange Ginger Scones

Good morning! I love scones! Here is the recipe I tried this morning for breakfast with our eggs.

2 cups all-purpose flour*
4 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 teas. baking powder
2 teas. ginger
1/2 teas. salt
1/4 teas. baking soda
1/2 cup cold butter
1 egg
3/4 cup sour cream
1-1/2 teas. grated orange peel

In a bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, ginger, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, sour cream, and orange peal. Add to crumb mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead 5 to 6 times. Divide dough in half. Pat each portion. into a 7 inch circle. Cut the circles into six wedges. Separate wedges and place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 1 dozen

* I used Whole Wheat Pastry Flour and it worked great!

1 comment:

Elaine T said...

hi, Alison~ just had to tell you I tried your scones and they were AWESOME! You have a beautiful recipe blog..I'll have to try more of them some day. Hope you and your family are doing well.