Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Forgotten Yeast Fix!

my "forgotten yeast fix" cinnamon rolls without one large pan that already got eaten

Yes, the yeast is slightly important when you are making bread. Since I have been making very large batches of bread, I have forgotten to add the yeast to my dough twice! The first time I did it, I cried bitter tears because I thought of all that flour (almost 13 cups), and honey (3/4 cup), and all the rest that I would have to throw away!!! After I dried my tears, I did a quick search on google to see if I could fix my mess. I couldn't believe it! The dough COULD be saved!!! It just meant I would have to make cinnamon rolls with it instead of bread loaves.

So the second time I forgot yeast I did the same thing again and skipped the tears... who can argue with putting cinnamon rolls in the freezer!

So here's what to do if you forget the yeast like I did...

Take the correct measured amount of yeast from your original recipe and put it in a bowl. Add just enough warm water to make a thick past with the yeast. Stir well until the yeast is dissolved and makes a thick paste. Let the yeast sit for 5 minutes. Spread the yeast over the top of your dough and knead the dough until the yeast has been worked into the dough. Let the dough rise in a warm place. You may need to work it again as the yeast will raise the dough unevenly and bubbly. This is why I make only cinnamon rolls with it because bread would not rise nice and evenly and may not even work. Cinnamon rolls work great because you roll the dough thin and it doesn't matter if they are not raised perfectly. The taste is wonderful!

I gotta stop doing this,
Alison

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good to know! I didn't know this was possible. I have thrown away some batches before, too.

Angela said...

This is very helpful information and some beautiful cinnamon rolls.