Thursday, April 3, 2008

Outback Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bushman Bread

My mother-in-law gave me this recipe not long after Randy and I were married. It is always a hit when I make it. And you will know why if you've ever eaten at The Outback Steakhouse. Enjoy!


In Bread Machine:
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 T. butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
2 1/2 cups bread flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 T. cocoa
1 T. sugar
2 teas. instant coffee
1 teas. salt
2 1/4 teas (1 pkg.) yeast

Coloring (optional-I never add this*)
1/4 cup water
75 drops red food coloring
45 drops blue food coloring
30 drops yellow food coloring

Cornmeal for dusting

Add all ingredients in order listed into your bread machine. Set it on "knead" and when the machine begins to mix the dough, combine the food coloring mixture and drizzle it into the mixture as it combines. When the dough has risen to about double in size punch it down and divide into desired shapes.** Sprinkle with cornmeal if desired. Cover and let rise another hour in warm place.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover the dough and bake it for 20 to 24 minutes in the hot oven. Serve warm with sharp knife and butter on the side. If you want whipped butter, like you get at the restaurant, just use an electric mixer on high speed to whip some butter until it's fluffy.

*I have never added this extra liquid and would wonder if you would have to add more flour to the mixture so that it wouldn't be too sticky. Just something to keep in mind...
**I like to make a 9x13 pan of buns. Also makes 8 small loaves.

2 comments:

Wrena said...

WHEW WEEE! GOING TO TRY THESE!!! THANKS FOR SHARING NOW JUST WAITING FOR THE BREAD PUDDING YOU TALK ABOUT

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to trying these, too. They look lovely...